One of the special things I hope to do on this site, is from time to time share music, stories, photos and other multimedia that fits the theme of being positive and inspiring in some way. There is a lot of negativity around and many problems we all experience as individuals and within our different contexts, but dreams are about rising up and finding a way through.
My first video is from First Aid Kit, and is a recent song called Stay Gold. I love this song because it’s about keeping that special element in your life.
Over the months I hope to build a showcase of websites illustrating imaginative and creative projects. I will feature organisations and people doing interesting things, so please contact me and draw my attention to your work or the work of those you admire and together lets learn and get excited by some of the wonderful work that is happening !
The first site I want to feature is the work of Digital Green.
See also this video about their work:
Open Education Challenge and Emerge Education are two acceleration programmes providing grants and investment in incubating start-up companies that are innovating with new products for education. The RIDE conference showcased six exciting new initiatives, which have potential to support distance and blended approaches to learning. The six initiatives were pitched on an audience who were drawn in and suitably impressed by the exciting new ideas and products being demonstrated.
The key concepts and applications represented were:
- Helping you remember what you learn – an application that links research in cognitive and neurosciences with big data, and provides personally optimised revision paths – Domoscio.com
- A digital library of things that can be used to creates powerful learning activities – thinkwiththings.co.uk
- Interactive learning collaboration that exploits mobile devices and provides remote class management tools – Harnesstouch.com
- A tool for interactively working with students on different types of documents inside a browser, and in a way that integrates with learning management systems – oceanbrowser.com
- A ‘kind of TripAdvisor for MOOCs’ app that enables people to find and make best use of MOOCs that are right for them and collaborate with others through social media integration – groupmooc.com
- A dashboard for learning apps that lets app develops integrate some of the core classroom and tracking features of education apps. See the quiz Alize app for an example – zzish.com
Do take a close look at the websites to discover more and note also that there will be a new Open Educational Challenge in 2015, so be ready to apply with your great ideas!
My second video is from Yusuf Cat Stevens, my favourite artist from when I was very young. His best songs are often about seeking and retain the innocence of children. As Robert Chambers reminded me, quoting from Dr Seuss, adults are basically redundant children, who have lost the ability to play and learn through having fun. This song, is about a more open world where many of the fears and divisions are removed and maybe if we could find ways to achieve this world, we would also find ways to work and play together and find fun ways to make things better.